Apparently Tesco is using its food delivery lorries to pick up rubbish from stores in an attempt to cut costs.
They have stopped using waste contractors to pick up and dispose of general rubbish, including unsold food, from its 600 largest supermarkets. Instead, bags of waste are piled into metal wheeled cages lined with clear plastic. These cages are picked up by the same trucks that deliver food to the stores once they have emptied their load. The trucks drop off the rubbish at a waste centre before returning to Tesco’s distribution centres to pick up more groceries and food to start the cycle again. Oh nice.
Meanwhile in Whitstable
A father who complained when the iPad he bought from Tesco turned out to be a lump of clay was banged up as a suspected fraudster.
Businessman Colin Marsh, 47, paid £470 for the Apple tablet as a Christmas treat for his daughters Maddie, 11, and Daisy, 8. When he opened the box he discovered the device had been replaced with three lumps of grey clay.
He immediately returned to the store for a refund but was reported to the police by Tesco staff.
Two days later Mr Marsh, who runs two bakeries, got a call asking him to report to his local police station where he was bundled into a cell for three hours. What are the police thinking of if Mr Marsh had done it the tablet would have been replaced with dough. Anyway he was accused of trying to scam the supermarket and spent two months on bail. Apparently Tesco had told the ‘Old Bill’ that the missing Apple tablet had been activated with Mr Marsh’s name which turned out to be a load of ‘pony and trap’ (crap).
The iPad that should have been in the box was tracked down to Wales more than 200 miles from where Mr Marsh had bought it in Whistable, Kent. Mr Marsh has since got his money back but said Tesco had not properly apologised. Police had carried out their own investigations and discovered the information provided by Tesco was wrong and the iPad had not been activated in Mr Marsh’s name, but to another email address elsewhere in the UK. His bail was cancelled and he was told he would not face any charges.
Been a bit quiet on the illegal workers front lately but a few were caught.
Immigration officers visited Rose Valley Indian Cuisine, Chertsey Street, Guildford, and Kebabish Original, High Street, Woking, on Friday 8th November. Individuals were questioned to check if they had the right to be in the UK.
At Rose Valley, which was visited at about 12:10, they arrested a Nepalese man, aged 25, and a 34-year-old Bangladeshi man, both of whom had overstayed their visas.
Officers then moved on to Kebabish, which was visited at 14:25. There they arrested two Pakistani men. A 29-year-old had overstayed his visa while a 46-year-old was found to have entered the country illegally. A further Pakistani man, aged 32, was found to be working illegally but was not arrested, let him off why don’t you.
All those arrested were transferred to immigration detention pending removal from the country apart from the two men, aged 46 and 32, found at Kebabish. They have been placed on immigration bail so they can look for illegal work somewhere else.