Southern Water fined for sewage leak

Posted: December 1, 2011 in Environment

A few days ago I reported that water companies had increased how many times they discharge raw sewage into our rivers and coastal waters, here’s a typical example of what they get up to.
IlieThe Environment Agency have prosecuted Southern Water for allowing sewage to leak into a tributary of the River Rother from its sewage treatment works at Tenterden.

Southern Water admitted the offence and was fined £10,000. The firm also agreed to pay investigation costs of £7,295, plus £45,000 to the Environment Agency for clean-up costs. The pollution was so bad ammonia levels were twice the permitted level three days after the spillage in April.

On April 1st this year, the Environment Agency was told by Southern Water there had been a spill of sewage sludge at the Tenterden sewage treatment works. When an officer arrived concentrations of ammonia in the sludge at the Newmill Channel were so high the treatment works couldn’t handle it. At least they reported it I suppose but then it was so bad to keep quiet would surely have hit the headlines when dead fish started to be seen.

Samples taken showed effluent discharged from the treatment works was nearly eight times the fatal strength for fish. Investigations found a piece of plastic pipework had burst in the sludge recirculation pump.
There had been a blockage the previous day and a valve was shut while repairs were being carried out by Southern Water. Following this maintenance the valve was left closed and this caused pressure to build up and resulted in the pipe bursting.

Someone who took David Cameron’s advice to take kids to work.

A 35-year-old female teacher and a six-year-old boy, both with burns, were rushed to hospital yesterday after an explosion in a science lab at a school where staff were striking. The youngster had been taken to the secondary school with his parent who worked there because his own primary school was closed due to the strike.

South Central Ambulance Service was called to Hazeley Academy in Milton Keynes, sending two doctors, a rapid response car, an ambulance and a helicopter.
It is understood the injuries were a combination of burns and the inhalation of potentially noxious gasses.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s